Newburg Staff Writers-December 24, 2020 (9:30AM)
On December 23rd, Charlie Baker announced a $668 million Massachusetts program to provide help for small businesses within specific industries that have been impacted by the pandemic. The new relief program would offer grants up to $75,000 to certain eligible industries. The grant would be up to $75,000 or three months’ operating expenses, to cover salaries, utilities, rent, and debt service obligations. Funding the program does rely at least partially on President Trump signing the $900 billion COVID relief package passed earlier this week by Congress, Baker said.
The online application portal for the new program will open on Thursday December 31st and will close on Friday, January 15. Awards are expected to be announced in early February.
Eligible industries for the new program include:
- Restaurants, bars, caterers
- Fitness centers and gyms
- Indoor recreation and entertainment establishments
- Event-support professionals (photographers, videographers, etc.)
- Personal services
Roughly 50% of the funds are expected to go to thousands of businesses cut out of an earlier $49 million statewide small-business relief fund. Fewer than 1,200 of the 10,000 that applied received funds. They do not need to reapply, Baker said. The Baker administration said applicants who did not receive funds in that disbursement will be automatically prioritized in the next round.
More details on how to apply and eligibility requirements are available at www.empoweringsmallbusiness.org.
Visit our new website at www.newburg.com for information on our services or for additional news and insight.
Please contact us should you have any questions.